LGBTQ Community Mental HealthJune 6, 2019
Dark Phoenix’s Sophie Turner Talks About Therapy and Mental HealthJune 17, 2019
About 1 in 5 adults in the United States will experience a mental illness in a given year.1
Whether it is hereditary or brought about by a traumatic event, anyone is at risk of developing a mental health disorder. The amount of possible diagnoses is vast. This means it is important not only to understand mental illness but also to be able to recognize the signs early. Banyan’s Mental Health Treatment Center explains the common warning signs of mental illness and what you can do about it.
Recognizing Mental Disorders
Before treatment can begin, it is important to be aware of the early signs shared amongst a variety of disorders. While the symptoms of mental illness vary depending on the diagnosis, person, and severity, there are some universal warning signs to look out for.
If you suspect that your loved one is struggling with a mental health disorder, look for the following manners and behaviors.
- Suicidal thoughts - If your loved one tells you that they are having thoughts of suicide, get them help immediately. A mental health PHP could save their life.
- Intense Mood Swings - One of the most common signs of mental health disorders is mood changes. The person will probably be experiencing noticeably extreme moods (including both highs and lows) or mood swings.
- Social withdrawal - Staying home can be considered a form of self-care, but if you notice your loved one no longer has any desire to spend time with you or the people they are closest with, it could be because of a mental health disorder.
- Abnormal eating habits - An extreme fluctuation in weight can signal that the person is struggling to take care of themselves.
- Over-worrying - Anxiety is a common emotion, but when the person starts to have trouble completing everyday tasks or avoids numerous situations or places, there could be a deeper issue at play.
- Substance abuse - A lot of people will turn to drugs or alcohol to cope with their poor mental health. In these cases, dual diagnosis treatment is best to address both issues at once and to get to the root of the problem.
- Abnormal sleeping habits - Sleeping issues can be one of the common signs of a mental health issue. Some people will experience insomnia, while individuals with depression may have trouble getting out of bed at all.
- Disconnected from reality - A sure sign of mental illness is when the person is noticeably withdrawn from reality. These symptoms can appear as delusions, hallucinations, and irrational or incongruent thinking.2
Mental Health Care in Boca Raton
These are some of the most common warning signs of mental illness, but a real diagnosis is crucial in effectively treating it.
If you are looking for compassionate mental illness treatment in Boca, reach out to Banyan Mental Health. You do not need to watch your loved one suffer or struggle.
Call Banyan Treatment Centers at 888-280-4763 for more information.
What to Expect During Anxiety Treatment
How Parents Affect Their Child’s Mental Health & Tips You Can Follow
- National Institute of Mental Health- Mental Health Information-Statistics
- National Alliance on Mental Health- Know the Warning Signs
Alyssa is Banyan’s Director of Digital Marketing & Technology. After overcoming her own struggles with addiction, she began working in the treatment field in 2012. She graduated from Palm Beach State College in 2016 with additional education in Salesforce University programs. A part of the Banyan team since 2016, Alyssa brings over 5 years of experience in the addiction treatment field.