LGBTQ Community Mental HealthJune 6, 2019
Dark Phoenix’s Sophie Turner Talks About Therapy and Mental HealthJune 17, 2019
First Signs of Mental Health Disorders
About 1 in 5 adults in the United States will experience a mental illness in a given year.1
Because so many people are affected by mental illness, it is important to not only understand mental illness but also to be able to recognize the signs of mental health disorders so that the proper mental health treatment can be found if necessary.
How to Recognize a Mental Health Disorder
At Banyan Mental Health, we treat patients with different mental health problems and addiction issues. While the signs and symptoms of mental health disorders vary depending on the disorder, person, and severity, there are some common warning signs to look out for.
If you suspect that your loved one is struggling with a mental health disorder, look for the following manners and behaviors.
- Suicidal thoughts- If your loved one tells you that they are having suicidal thoughts, get them help immediately. A mental health PHP could save their life.
- Mood changes- One of the most common signs of mental health disorders is mood changes. The person will probably be experiencing noticeably extreme moods (including both highs and lows) or mood swings.
- Social withdrawal- Especially with depression, people will often avoid other people and social situations. If you notice your loved one no longer has a desire to spend time with you or the people they are closest with, it could be because of a mental health disorder.
- Abnormal sleeping habits- Sleeping issues can be one of the common signs of mental health issue. Some people will experience insomnia while others may have trouble getting out of bed at all.
- Abnormal eating habits- This warning sign can appear in both extremes. The person may gain a lot of weight in a short amount of time or they could become underweight too quickly.
- Excessive worry- Anxiety is a common problem, but when the person starts to have trouble completing everyday tasks or avoids numerous situations or places, there is a most likely a problem.
- Substance abuse- A lot of people will turn to drugs or alcohol to cope with their poor mental health. In these cases, dual diagnosis treatment is best to address both issues at once and to get to the root of the problem.
- Disconnect from reality- A sure sign of mental health illness is when the person is noticeably distant from reality. These symptoms can appear as delusions, hallucinations, and irrational or incongruent thinking.2
If you are looking for addiction or mental health care in Boca Raton, reach out to us immediately. You do not need to watch your loved one suffer or struggle on your own. By calling 888-280-4763, you could be on your way to better mental health.
Get more information about our mental health care in Boca Raton and how to get started on your journey to better mental health by calling 888-280-4763.
- National Institute of Mental Health- Mental Health Information-Statistics
- National Alliance on Mental Health- Know the Warning Signs